Out of denial: I'm getting older, and if you are lucky, you're getting older too.
WHAT: A six-week workshop facilitated by Kayelily Middleton, Dona McNeill, Debra May, Sonya Drew, Nancy Williams, Holly Menard and Dave Davenport
WHEN: 7:00 – 9:00 pm, Wednesdays – June 14th to July 19th
WHERE: Center for Excellence, 3803-B Computer Drive, Raleigh, NC 27609
TOURS: April 29th, 10:00 - 3:00- National Cohousing Communities Open House Day
Sign up separately for free tours of cohousing communities in the Triangle
COST: $125 each
($25 discount if you already have the Senior Cohousing Handbook)
SPECIAL! ($50 discount for a couple needing only one set of books)
Includes books and administrative costs.
- The Senior Cohousing Handbook (2nd edition)
- Senior Cohousing Study Group I Workshop Participant Guide
To register for this workshop, contact us by email or call or text to 919-345-4608
Register NOW - the space is limited to 20 participants and there are only a few seats left.
Payment can be made by PayPal or mailing a check to:
1125 Shadyside Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27612
This study group workshop offers many opportunities to learn from each other, to work together, and to put into practice new skills. We will be using the theme of aging successfully, with emphasis on cooperation to grow emotionally, socially, psychologically and physically.
Many senior housing options are costly, inefficient, and sometimes inappropriate. Too many people are languishing in inappropriate housing arrangements. Only a clear and deliberate approach can remedy these situations. You will be introduced to the concept of cohousing, which we think is a great option for many Empty Nesters. We will explore a variety of approaches for aging successfully so each of you will feel equipped to decide on a path forward for your long happy life.
• Aging in Community
• Getting to know each other
• What is your current situation?
• What do you need now and in the future?
• What are the advantages of aging in community?
• Becoming empowered to take next steps
• The Realities of Getting Older
• Successful aging – self-education & developing new strategies
• What changes happened in your last ten years?
• What changes will happen in the next ten years?
• The benefits of social cohesion
• The importance of proximity to community
• Community is the best insurance for getting nurturing supportive care
• Economics of Getting Older
• What senior housing services and possibilities are available?
• What are conventional services and alternative services?
• What care would you like to receive and give?
• Where does your money go when you live in a single family home?
• Costs of institutionalized care
• The sharing of resources in community
• Philosophy, Spirituality, & Mortality
• What is an elder and “saging”?
• Fears about aging and mortality
• Spiritual and philosophical beliefs about aging
• Sharing Our Wisdom
• Being an Elder and Co-eldering
• Participation gives purpose to our wisdom
• Elder empowerment
• The enriching results of living in community
• Co-Development & Co-Design
• Taking risk and taking charge
• Group planning process
• The risks of taking no action
“If you don’t make the time to work on creating the life you want; you are eventually going to be forced to spend a LOT of time dealing with a life you don’t want.”........Kevin Ngo